Finding the ideal writing position and nib
Every nib made by Montblanc is crafted and polished by hand. By turning the writing instrument, you can find the writing position that is best for you. Choose from eight different nib widths to find the one that matches your writing style, allowing your writing to flow effortlessly, resulting in highly attractive handwriting. Montblanc Service will be glad to supply a different nib free of charge if you return the original nib in as new condition within 6 weeks.
Fountain pen with piston converter
A. Unscrew the barrel from the front section of the pen.
B. Continue filling just like with a piston fountain pen:
1. Turn the end of the converter counter clockwise as far as possible. Please note that an ink rest could be left in the pen.
2. Dip the entire nib into ink and turn the end of the converter back clockwise.
3. Loosen the end of the converter to allow 6 – 8 drops to flow back into the ink bottle by turning the end of the converter counter clockwise slightly.
4. Please turn the pen, the nib pointed upwards, and slowly tighten the end of the converter again by turning it clockwise.
5. Wipe the nib and cap with lint-free paper or a soft lint-free cloth.
Fitting a new cartridge
1. Remove converter by turning it counter clockwise.
2. Replace converter with a cartridge, narrow end pointing towards nib, by pushing slightly. A second cartridge can be stored inside the pen above the first cartridge, narrow end pointing away from nib.
Cleaning approximately every 3 months. Especially if the ink has dried up due to lack of use, the feed system is blocked, a different colour of ink is to be used, or the flow of ink becomes intermittent or stops. Cleaning should take place using warm, clean water without additives of any kind. Important: Use only Montblanc fountain pen ink. To avoid leakage, keep the pen freshly filled with ink. Carry with nib pointing upwards. It is impossible to prevent condensation forming inside the cap. This condensation can dissolve traces of dried ink, causing the condensation to change colour. The nib and cap should therefore always be cleaned with a lint-free, grease-free cloth.
Fountain pen with plunger/converter
Clean body and cap with clear, cold water (for push-fit caps use a lintfree cloth only). Repeat filling process with water several times, until water comes out noticeably cleaner.
To prevent the pen from leaking, please carry your pen with the nib pointing upwards. Please note that at least 1/3 of the reservoir should be filled with ink. The correct filling process is of particular importance before air travel due to the difference in air pressure in planes.
Your writing instrument is manufactured from the distinctive Montblanc resin, a material which compares with fine porcelain in its resistance to scratching, its noble sheen and its lasting beauty. Please treat it accordingly, to protect it from breakage and damage. The pearls which adorn some Montblanc writing instruments have great character, but demand special attention. In comparison to precious stones, pearls are relatively soft. Please keep your pearl decorated writing instrument separate from hard objects, and avoid heat and aggressive cleaning agents. A soft cloth, moistened with water, is all you need for cleaning. and damage.